Homefront Veterinary Blog
Stay up-to-date about important topics in pet healthcare by reading Homefront Veterinary Services' Blog.
Not If Your Dog Gets Car Sick….
Car sickness is a common problem in dogs, and can be frustrating for owners traveling for the holidays. To find out how to help your pet combat motion sickness, check out our link: Motion Sickness in dogs
As winter approaches, we are all excited about the holidays, snow, and family visits. However, winter can be a dangerous time for pets. Decorations, plants, freezing temperatures, fireplaces, and antifreeze can all pose severe, and sometimes life-threatening health problems. Read more about Winter Health Hazards on our website.
It’s the time of year when we are all starting to winterize our homes and our automobiles. Please remember to handle antifreeze safely so that you don’t expose pets or wild animals to this fatal chemical. Antifreeze can be poisonous in very small amounts, and animals love the sweet taste. Ingestion of antifreeze causes kidney failure and leads to a very painful death if treatment is not initiated immediately. Click on the following link for more information:
If you suspect that your pet has ingested antifreeze, call your veterinarian immediately. The best chance of recovery occurs in pets that have received treatment within one hour of ingesting the antifreeze.
Many of us have candy, gum, and other goodies in excess at Halloween. However, even small amounts of some “human treats” can be poisonous to dogs and cats. For example, chocolate candy can act as a stimulant and usually contains other chemicals or ingredients that are even more harmful to pets. Many sugarless candies or gums contain an artificial sweetener called xylitol which can cause low blood sugar and liver failure in dogs. For more information, click on the following links:
So keep the candy basket on a high shelf this Halloween, and no handing out treats to trick-or-treaters with four legs. If you suspect that your pet has eaten candy, gum, or other treats, call your veterinarian immediately.