Many of us have candy, gum, and other goodies in excess at Halloween. However, even small amounts of some “human treats” can be poisonous to dogs and cats. For example, chocolate candy can act as a stimulant and usually contains other chemicals or ingredients that are even more harmful to pets. Many sugarless candies or gums contain an artificial sweetener called xylitol which can cause low blood sugar and liver failure in dogs. For more information, click on the following links:
So keep the candy basket on a high shelf this Halloween, and no handing out treats to trick-or-treaters with four legs. If you suspect that your pet has eaten candy, gum, or other treats, call your veterinarian immediately.